PERFORMISTANBUL INVITES A UK BASED WOMAN PERFORMANCE ARTIST TO ISTANBUL IN COLLABORATION WITH LIVE ART DEVELOPMENT AGENCY, LONDON!
This programme is developed with the support of the British Council’s #WomenPowerinCulture Grant Scheme.
In collaboration with Live Art Development Agency (LADA), Performistanbul is initiating an artistic development programme offering a four-week (24 February – 20 March, 2020) project development workshop and a ten day (21st – 31st of March, 2020) residency for a performance artist (*). The participant will be selected through an open call that will be announced in January 2020 and conducted by both of the platforms. The development scheme will include collaboration opportunities, art institutions’ visits, tutorials, workshops, talks and a final exhibit of a performance in both cities. The programme will explore the idea of “home” as a widened context – a space for being and creation.
(*) Artist who self-identifies herself / themselves as a ‘woman’ – living and working within the UK.
The programme is the first residency opportunity of Performistanbul which offers its research facilities and a flat apartment in the building of PCSAA for the selected artist during their stay of 10 days. The conversation between Performistanbul and the selected artist will start four weeks before the programme in order to plan the development and production of the project.
The jury consists of 9 members including
Naz Balkaya (Assistant Curator and UK Representative)
Simge Burhanoglu (Founding Director – Performance Curator)
Azra Ismen (Co-Director)
Lois Keidan (Co-Founder and Director)
Finn Love (Programmes)
Joseph Morgan Schofield (Resources and Coordination)
The Invited Jury:
Beral Madra (Independent Curator, Art Critic, Founder of BM Contemporary Art Center)
Seyhan Musaoglu (Curator, Artist, Founder of Space Debris)
Merve Ünsal (Artist, Researcher)
The development programme will offer:
- A key commissioning opportunity of producing a new work which will be presented at the end of her/their stay at a gallery in Istanbul
- A public event presenting the documentation of the performance at LADA, following with an artist talk including other cultural voices from the performance art world
- A development programme that offers gallery trips, workshops and tutorials
- A month mentoring prior to the programme
- A consistent access to two Live Art Archives in LADA (London) and Performistanbul Live Art Research Space – PCSAA (Istanbul)
The venue selection will be made after the open call depending on the context of the performance and its relation with the space.
The open call invites self-identifying women artists of all backgrounds without a limitation of a live practice. The brief should respond to the curatorial context of the programme.
THE CURATORIAL CONTEXT
The programme explores the idea of home as a widened context – a space for being and creation. Home can be explained by multiple ways such as; love, identity, people, family, culture, belief, hope etc. It acts as a research project and goes deep into artists’ inner space through their research. It invites artists to explore the current social political issues through the lens of the idea of home, belonging, representation and questioning.
Residency refers to the following key words;
Gender and identity,
The artist will have;
- A 10 day residency in Istanbul
- A round trip economy-class ticket (London – Istanbul – London) (covered up to 1145 TL)
- A single flat house (1+1) at Performistanbul, situated in the old neighborhood of Galata.
- A living allowance for food/per diems and materials (2000 TL)
- A production budget (3000 TL)
- An artist fee (2000 TL)
- Opportunities to engage in the art scene in Istanbul; access to a programme of planned group activities and visits to cultural organisations in Turkey;
- An opportunity to present a live art performance including the mentorship of Perfromistanbul team and the prior support to the project development during the pre-residency period;
January 17, 2020: Open call launch
February 15, 2020 12 noon: Deadline for the open call
February 24, 2020: Announcement of the selected artist
February 24 – March 20, 2020: Mentoring programme
March 21- 31, 2020: Residency in PCSAA, Istanbul & presentation of the project
REQUIREMENTS FOR THE ARTIST SELECTION
- Has to be a performance artist living and working in the UK;
- Has to have an equivalent portfolio and experience in exhibiting performance art.
- Has to be seeking an opportunity to develop her/their practice and the concepts of her/their artistic work.
- Has to be able to explain how the experience of an international residency in Turkey may benefit her/their career development and local networks and submit a motivation letter and a project proposal.
Please send the following requirements in a PDF format to the following email address:
- A complete application form (in PDF format not exceeding 5 mb)
- A portfolio of ten images detailing the latest works including a CV (in PDF format not exceeding 5 mb)
- A referee name please include title, institution, email and telephone (in PDF or Word format)
Applicants will receive a confirmation email but unfortunately we will only let the selected artist know after the jury come to a decision.
If you have any questions or experience any difficulties about your application, please contact Naz Balkaya; firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply please complete the application form and send it to to email@example.com alongside a CV and 10 images of your recent work. Deadline 12noon, Friday 15 February